broken vessel



Has it really been that long since my last post?

I have missed this little place.  I assure you every day I think, "Ohhh, I should write about that," or "I should really share that."  And then the day comes and goes in a flash and at the end of it all I want to do is veg out for a bit.  I have finally gotten into a groove with my new job and balancing my other job, however there seems to always be something new to be slightly overwhelmed about.  If you've ever been a first year teacher, you know what I mean.

The last couple days I've been struggling with myself.  Yes, with me.  There's this picture in my head of the teacher I want to be, but the reality of the teacher I really am does not line up.  I am more impatient than I know I should be.  I allow one class to frustrate me so much that I don't give the next class my full joy.  I make many mistakes and I would love to go back and redo some of my decisions.  I suppose this is a taste of what it's like to be a mom... Feeling like you are far from the mother you envision yourself being.  Wishing you could go back and do something differently with a particular child...  I probably can't yet fully imagine all the feelings of inadequacy that mothers experience.

Here's what I do know:

I know that this continual struggle we feel (not just teachers or moms, but everyone) of not measuring up and not being who we would like to be reminds us in a painful but beckoning way that we are human and we are desperate for a Savior's hand to guide us, break us, mold us, and make us new. 

 When I look back through my prayer journal, I see a common thread... I request again and again for God to break me.  It's what I want - to be broken and wrecked of my selfishness and be restored with the humility, grace, and kindness of Christ.  While I ask for brokenness, I know it comes at a price, and it's painful.  It means dying… Letting go of myself and clinging to Jesus like my life depends on it, because it does.

He raises the broken to life.

Comments

Popular Posts