movies I watch at least once a year



Signs
People laugh at me and I don’t care, but I love this movie and think it’s totally underrated.  One of Shyamalan's better films.  I think people who haven't seen it are turned off when they hear it's an alien movie.  I wouldn't categorize it like that at all.  The movie is about a family who comes back to faith.  Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix are brilliant in this film, as are the kiddos (Rory Culkin and Abigail Breslin).  It has just the right mix of suspense, humor, and inspiration.



Pride and Prejudice
Deep, meaningful romance.  And that ending… Darcy walking to Elizabeth in the morning dawn.  Sheesh.  And each time I watch it I typically pick up something new, because let's be honest...  Their British accents are heavy and fancy and my Southern mind didn't grasp it all the first (few) time(s).



My Best Friend’s Wedding
What a classic Julia Roberts movie…  Throw Cameron Diaz in and you’ve got golden comedy and quirkiness.  I think what I love most about it is it doesn’t end like you might expect.  In the end (spoiler alert), she doesn’t get the guy.  While normally that would be maddening for the viewer, it’s so touching to watch her learn how to let go.  I’m reminded of a quote I read just the other day…  "Three of the things that matter in the end:  how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of the things not meant for you."

And let's not forget the wonderful sing-along-worthy moment in the restaurant of Say a Little Prayer



The Notebook
One of my favorite stories.  Gosling and McAdams.  Young love.  Reunited love.
I can't help it.



The Princess Bride
My all-time favorite movie.  I grew up watching it, I watch it as an adult, and I'll want my kids to watch it.  Love, humor, weirdness, adventure.  One of my friends and I are constantly using its great one-liners.  When I was younger I dreamed of having Robin Wright's hair... and well, her man, too.



The Blindside
I love inspirational films, and this one is legit.  Not cheesy.  It has Sandra.  Enough said.  And I like being reminded of the impact of adoption, since Luke and I plan to adopt someday.  Maybe that's why this film is close to my heart.



A couple more recent films we saw and LOVED and will likely be added to this list as annual viewings - About Time and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
I like movies that impact me by the time I leave the theater.  Movies that make me feel differently about life and help freshen my perspective.  These two did just that.

Have a great weekend!





Comments

Popular Posts