apples and the gospel


So the current book I'm reading is kinda rockin' my world.  If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you've seen it.  7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.  The author journals through 7 months where each month she focuses on one aspect (possessions, clothes, food, etc.) and cuts back her "excess"... I mean, majorly cutting back, like only wearing seven pieces of clothing all month, or giving away seven things a day for a whole month, or only eating seven foods all month... the kind of thing that would make most Americans choke from "but-I-think-I-need-all-that-stuff" syndrome.  Her journey and revelations are incredible.  I am currently on the chapter on possessions.  There is so much I'd love to share with you... I mean, literally every time I sit down to read I end up thinking, okay, I've got to share this with everyone I know!  So hey, just buy the book and save me some time, but I will share a little excerpt with you today.  I love Jen's brutal honesty and insight in this book. I just read a part where she shared how she and some friends took care of providing a single mother in need with a ton of things for her and her children.  And after hearing of the mother's utmost gratitude and how she inevitably was closer to God because of the practical love of Christians, Jen describes her thoughts:

"...when Jesus was pressed, He said (Jen translation), 'Love God and love people.  That's pretty much it.'
This is what we do, and this is why we do it.
Sometimes the best way to bring good news to the poor is to bring actual good news to the poor.  It appears a good way to bring relief to the oppressed is to bring real relief to the oppressed.  It's almost like Jesus meant what He said.  When you're desperate, usually the best news you can receive is food, water, shelter.  These provisions communicate God's presence infinitely more than a tract or Christian performance in the local park.  They convey, 'God loves you so dearly, He sent people to your rescue.'
I guess that's why 'love people' is the second command next to 'love God.'  And since God's reputation is hopelessly linked to His followers' behavior, I suspect He wouldn't be stuck with His current rap if we spent our time loving others and stocking their cabinets.
But there I go, off on another tangent, imagining apples can be part of the gospel.
Next I'm going to tell you the last will be first or something crazy..."

Thanks, Jen, for bringing me back to the simplicity of the gospel.  

Comments

Popular Posts