Love

We all have some defining moments in our lives that change us, or hopefully they do.

For me one of those was in the summer I volunteered at UK Hospital and Children's Hospital, the summer before I started college.  One of the tasks I did frequently on a daily basis was transport patients over to the cancer center.  On my walk back to the main hospital one day I noticed a woman, perhaps in her forties, sitting on a bench and crying.  My heart broke for her.  Without even thinking I walked over and sat down next to her.  I told her I wasn't sure what was going on in her life but that I would like to pray for her.  She nodded slowly, still weeping softly.  I prayed and she whispered her thanks as I smiled and walked away.

Every now and then I wonder about her.  I wonder if whatever she was sad about got better.  I wonder if she knew the magnitude of the love of Jesus.

I also think about that moment and that day because it was one of the first real times I stepped out of my comfort zone and did something I knew Jesus wanted me to do.  And the funny thing is, it didn't feel uncomfortable at all.  It felt the opposite.  My heart and soul felt gratitude that I had the opportunity to show someone love, to in a sense be Jesus to them.  I went about the remainder of that day with a beautiful sense of peace.

I've been reflecting on how I love people.  I just finished Blue Like Jazz for the second time, and I think I need to read it at least once a year to be reminded of the many truths within.  One of the chapters is about how to really love other people, to love them as though each of them are Jesus.  I've realized just how much I fail at this.  I can be so self-absorbed.  Sometimes I just don't want to make the effort to reach out to someone or I feel like what I have going on at the time is more important.  Sometimes I even withhold love from people if I think they don't deserve it.  I forget about the way Jesus treated people while he lived on earth.

I wonder how my life would be different if I seized every opportunity like the one at the hospital, if I didn't hesitate to show love, to love every person as though I were looking at the face of Jesus.

My guess is, I would be more fulfilled, others would feel more loved, and most importantly, God would be more glorified.

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts