the wedding day


If you go into any newly married couple's home, you'll most likely see a ton of their wedding pics displayed.  And it seems the longer a couple has been married, the less and less of those pics are displayed.  Perhaps part of it is because they often have children and lots of new pics and experiences to share.  But as Luke and I approach the five-year mark, I'm beginning to think the decline in wedding pic displays has to do with something else, too...

When I run across a wedding pic of ours and think back to that beautiful day, of course I think of it fondly.  It was one of the most special days of my life because of what it represented - Two people becoming one in Christ, committing to each other forever.  Our wedding day was special not because of the dress I wore or the flowers we had, but because of the commitment we made before God and everyone we love.

But while I think back to it fondly, I also can't help but chuckle and even, I dare say, roll my eyes a bit.  Like probably all other weddings, there were many little details that went "wrong" or could have gone better.  Luke's tux was way too big (even after alterations), our slide show music didn't work, our photographer sent her husband to shoot the wedding instead of herself and he did not give any direction whatsoever, the caterer forgot to fix a plate of food for us for the reception, my makeup could have looked so much better, I paid a gajillion dollars to get my hair done and wish I had done it myself, the wedding coordinator forgot to bring snacks for the wedding party and everyone was starved, it was hotter than a firecracker that day and I wish I'd gone with a lighter dress, I'd given my sister-in-law bridesmaid pierced earrings to wear and she doesn't have pierced ears... you catch my drift?  These things just remind me even more so that the details aren't what matter.  It's the meaning of the day that matters.

And what I'm finally getting to is, we also are very different people than we were that day.  We were so naive and ignorant.  We are hopefully stronger and wiser.  We've changed, but we've changed together.  And when I think about our love today compared to the wedding day, honestly our love then seems pretty miniscule.  The deeper love we have today is what marriage is supposed to yield, and many couples give up before learning how to get there.

I think I'll always have at least one or two wedding pics up in our home as a reminder of that special day, but it's what has happened since then that's worth celebrating even more... the lifetime of love and learning versus one day of cake and formalwear. 

Love to you and yours,
jenn

Comments

  1. love this, Jenn. Such a great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about this...as we get ready to decorate & hang pictures. Much has happened in 18 months. Like your home reflects beautifully...I hope I can capture who we are, not just what we look like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts