Hair color details...

I've had a few ask what I used to color my hair, and I thought I'd share with everyone.  I'm really pleased with the results and will definitely be using this again...

Ion demi-permanent creme color in 4N Medium Natural Brown.  Don't be fooled by the swatch (that I got, I'm still Jenn from..).  Know that the colors tend to turn out darker than shown.  My hair turned out to be more of a rich dark brown, which is what I was going for.  I got it at Sally Beauty for around $5, and the Ion developer was around $3. (Goodbye, expensive salon!)  I got developer 20 simply because that's what my friend uses with this color (haha, I REALLY trust her).

I got creme because it's much less messy than liquid.  Many prefer the liquid because they feel it's more thorough, but I am pleased the creme.  I did an equal amount of color vs. developer to get a nice deepening result. (A guide comes with the color, walking you through the how-to details.)  I also liked the texture result - soft and smooth hair.


Supplies - brush, bowl, and reusable gloves.  I didn't get the gloves pictured above, but they were similar.  Get washable, reusable gloves - more economical than disposable.  Supplies were cheap as well.
The great thing is after you've purchased and done it once, you only have to keep repurchasing the actual color and toner.

It took me awhile to put the color on because I have longer hair and I wanted to be thorough.  Hubby had to help me a little with the back :).  By the time it was all applied, I knew the color had probably already been on my front and roots for close to 10 minutes, so I only waited about 10 more minutes before rinsing. (It suggests around 20 minutes, depending on what you're going for.)  Since my roots were lighter, I wanted the color left longer on them, anyway.  I didn't want to go too dark, so I risked rinsing too early than late, but it turned out great and pretty even!  I will probably get extra color and developer next time, as I almost ran out due to my amount of hair.


The day after I did it, in kitchen lighting...


In harsh office lighting, but I wanted you to see another type of lighting, nonetheless.

My favorite comment I get is how natural it looks.  I am a natural dark blonde.  It's funny...  Recently I've had to show my license a couple times (at stores, etc... not the police) and I've had 2 or 3 comments about my old blonde picture, and they all say the same thing - "I love the dark on you," and "The dark looks so natural!"

Hope this is helpful!  If you're considering coloring your own hair, go for it!  At least try it once.  You may love it and discover you can save so much $$$!



Comments

  1. Thanks so much, dear! Wish I had more time to devote to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts