Stone Walls

Another entry from my childhood storybook...

Stone Walls

At the entrance of our gravel driveway was a pair of stone walls, each with a black eagle on the inner ends. The outer end of each wall had a flat platform on top, small, but big enough for a person to stand on. My brother and I would often get adventurous on these walls. Our favorite shenanigan was "posing" like statues as cars passed by on the highway. We would change our stance each time. Sometimes our poses told a story, like Chris pretending he was shooting a bow and arrow at me and I pretending to be crippling over in pain from the shot. We got plenty of cars to slow down in curiosity. (Or was it amazement at our stupidity?) There was nothing quite like that rush we got from such pure audacity.

When I see a stone wall, I am reminded that being a silly kid with no restraint or care for what others thought was the best thing I could have been. I am reminded that my brother and I make a good (albeit wacky) team.

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts