Grace for Scrooge

Hubby and I watched Jim Carrey's "A Christmas Carol" last night. I think it was the first time I'd seen any version of this story the entire way through. Very touching and timeless. In case you aren't familiar with the story, in a nutshell, grumpy and depressed Scrooge gets a wakeup call when he is visited by three ghosts (of past, present, and future) to show him the reality of the life he has brought upon himself by being such a mean person. Once Scrooge has a change of heart, the last moments of the movie are beyond description as we watch him turn his life around and for the first time, exude joy.

My absolute favorite moment in the movie is towards the end when Scrooge goes to his nephew's home where the family is gathered for Christmas. The family had been talking about Scrooge prior to his arrival. They found him to be sad and disappointing, of course, and thought he wouldn't show up for dinner as usual. And in walks Scrooge. Everyone turns and looks at him in silence and disbelief. He mutters, "I've come to have dinner, if you'll still have me." After a couple more seconds, everyone begins cheering and they rise from their seat to greet and hug him.

I was so touched by this victorious moment, and not just because Scrooge was changing his life for the better. I was touched by the family's reaction, by their willingness to let go of the past, to have forgiveness, and immediately celebrate Scrooge's return with open arms. Like the prodigal son's father, they were just so happy he had returned, they didn't care about what he had done in the past. Wow. What a picture of the grace and love of Jesus...

"'For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate." - Luke 15:24

-

Comments

  1. I have never watched this movie...not sure why. But I have certainly experienced the amazement of being welcomed 'home' after taking a few detours. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts