One summer in college I went on a mission trip to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It was one of the most memorable, life-changing times of my life. The trip back was also memorable, but not in a very good way. My friend, Carolyn, and I weren't able to board our flight because apparently it was a smaller plane than intended (welcome to the Ethiopian airport). We were two of the several who were booted. We were supposed to leave late that evening. Instead we stayed until around 2 a.m. trying to find a flight back home. They finally planned a flight for us that would go to Rome, New York, and on to Louisville. It would leave the following night. Our main concern was making it home in time for weddings that we were each involved in. So we returned to our rooms in Addis to spend another night before leaving. We achieved perhaps three hours of sleep as the sounds of jackhammering woke us bright and early. Then off to the airport we were again, dragging our weary bodies along.

Our plane space was tight and there just happened to be a crying baby in front of us, along with what sounded like at least fifteen people coughing on their death beds. Carolyn and I just looked at each other as if to say silently, "Really?" Meanwhile, I popped two more Airborne capsules. Needless to say, no sleep was acquired on the multiple-hour flight to Rome. We arrived to beautiful Rome in the morning, where we found a bathroom to wash our faces to try to feel somewhat re-energized. After a couple hours gazing out the airport windows with red droopy eyes, we left for New York. Another attempt to rest was unsuccessful as we strained our necks agains rigid-backed seats and cold windows. We arrived to New York only to find our connecting flight was already gone. We wearily found another flight and waited... and waited. It was delayed.

At this point, we'd gone about 60 hours with three hours of sleep. I'll never forget, we laid on the airport floor near our gate and fell asleep for perhaps a half an hour. I am the lightest sleeper on the planet and I actually fell asleep amidst the hustle, bustle, and commotion of a busy airport. Pure exhaustion. At last, we left New York for Kentucky and saw a gorgeous sunset on our way. We arrived to Louisville around 11:00 at night, drove to Lexington to our home, and caught a few hours of sleep before our early morning wakeup calls for the weddings. My mom generously came and drove me to the wedding in fear I may not be able to stay awake. After a day of wedding festivities, I returned to my warm bed and slept for 14 hours straight, to awaken only for the purpose of eating...

I think of this little story a lot. For one, it is a bit comical. I have to chuckle a bit as I recall the unfortunate details. Also, any time I get really exhausted, I think to myself, 'This isn't nearly as bad as when we came back from Ethiopia... I can make it.'

I also compare this to the rest and rejuvenation God so generously gives us when we are weary and heavy-burdened. Sometimes I am emotionally drained. Sometimes my heart is so heavy I feel like giving up... But when I simply allow Him, He gives me rest. He gives a peace that transcends all understanding. He rejuvenates my heart in a way that is unmatched and unexplained. And, like when I woke up after 14 hours of glorious sleep, I feel like a new person. Sometimes you may feel like you're at the end of your rope, like you just can't take one more step or breath because you are so weary. Spend time lying down in the green pastures He has promised. Walk beside the quiet waters with Him. Let Him refresh and restore your soul. Jesus wants to refresh you. And if you've experienced His rest, you know that there's nothing like it. No human or thing on earth can give you anything remotely the same.

You're just a few steps away from total rejuvenation. You can make it.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matt. 11:28

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul... Your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:1-4



-







Comments

Popular Posts