Update

Sheesh, it has been a busy few weeks non-stop! Typically I catch up on sleep on the weekends, but I haven't been able to do that for about 4 weekends now, and it is starting to take a toll. My life has been full of work, school, ministry, conferences, travel, and family - all good things, but I'm looking forward to resting Sunday after church and our niece's birthday party. I will most likely come home, go to bed, and not get up until Monday. I know they say you can't really "make up" sleep, but I don't think that's true for me. For me, a five-hour nap really does the trick... or a 12-hour night's sleep, whatever. I guess I'm like my mom, except I'm not anemic (that I know of). I love to sleep. :)

In that past month, we have:
Gone to Jon Acuff's Quitter Conference in Nashville
Gone to Chicago for a long weekend anniversary trip
Had our cousins stay with us for a weekend
Had 2 services begin at our church, where we serve on the worship team for both services, and also serve in our Nexus small group class.
Worked Mon-Fri
I have juggled 2 Master's classes (Luke had a break, the little bugger)
And tonight my brother and nephew arrive for a couple days

All wonderful, wonderful things... But I fully believe it is biblical and good to take a BREAK! To REST!! To have time of solitude and reflection... to LISTEN. To listen to God.

Sometimes I get this crazy idea that I'm gonna be in a plane crash one day, survive, and end up alone on a deserted island (yes, like Tom Hanks in Cast Away). And I think that it would be a good thing (assuming I get to come back home eventually). I think it would be good to be in a place where it's just God and me, where I have no one else to depend on or talk to, where I have no microwaves or laptops or movies, or conferences or events or commitments... It would kind of be like my last post - with the homeless man and his dog. They only had each other.

So I'm thinking, how can I find this kind of solitude here, where I am living? I'm not looking for an answer like, 'Turn off the TV and go to a quiet room.' I mean like, what could be the closest equivalent here of being on a deserted island? Any creative ideas? And how do you balance all your commitments in life while keeping a steady flow of communion with God? A flow that enables you to remain peaceful and not as stressed, and constantly reflecting on God?

-

Comments

Popular Posts