What are you doing right now that requires faith?

This was a question posed to Francis Chan, author of Crazy Love, by his professor in Bible college. At the time, Chan says when he really thought about it, he couldn't think of anything he was doing that required faith. What about you? If you didn't believe in God, would your life be any different?

I began thinking, do I trust God to the point that I am unafraid to put myself in uncomfortable or risky situations? When finances are tight, do I decide in faith to give more to God or to cut back out of fear? Do I think of each person I see and talk to as Christ? Whatever we do for others, we do for Christ (Matt. 25:42-45).

Chan says he feels that we often take the command, "Sell your possessions and give to the poor," too lightly. Do we see it as some kind of metaphor? Like, 'Well... it doesn't really mean to do that. It means to just, ya know, be generous.' I think Jesus meant it literally. Does that mean we should go sell our houses and everything we own right this second? Not necessarily. Does it mean to perhaps consider downgrading from an excessive lifestyle in order to give more to others? I think so. It's such a tough topic, because where is the distinct line? How much is too much? That's where prayer comes in. That's where having a pure heart comes in. We must pray to God to convict us when needed, and to help us make wise decisions with the resources He has given.

The thing is, if we're living too comfortably, we probably aren't living radically enough. Hm... stings, doesn't it?

Any time Luke and I have given to God out of our comfort zone, He blesses us. He rewards us for our faith. But even greater than the reward of our needs being provided is the reward of blessing others and ultimately, blessing God.

What are you doing right now that requires faith?

Comments

Popular Posts