So we've been having some major storms here, and I've been thinking and reflecting a lot about them. Many people don't like storms. I love them. I don't like it when they are destructive, but I enjoy watching and listening to them. I like sleeping in them. There's something safe about falling asleep to the sound of God's power and creation. It's funny - I feel a sense of protection, actually.

And rain means so much more to me now than it did when I was a little girl. Then, rain was partially enjoyable as I loved the sound of it while I read books. Other than that it was just a nuisance. It meant not getting to play outside. Now, it's the sound of cleansing. The sound of renewal. It represents the kind of way that Jesus cleanses me - cleanses me of my filth or washes away harsh edges of my character - and replenishes me. It reminds me of how He cleanses our world and our people through trials, suffering, and then healing, just as the rain heals the earth. And just as the rain strengthens the earth, our hardships strengthen our faith.

I love the sound of rain because I hear the heart of God in it. I hear His peace, His both gentle and strong hand, and His extravagant love. In the rain I see Him gazing back at me, reminding me He is there, that the rain is His, and that it will bring me good if I let it.

And isn't the earth beautiful after it rains? The sunlight reflecting on glistening ground... The Son's light reflecting in our lives.

Comments

Popular Posts