Not long ago I attended an entertainment event, and that's as specific as I'll get. Most of the performances were by young, inexperienced people and were borderline torturous to sit and listen to. I found myself thinking, 'Why am I here putting myself through this?' And so I sat there, smugly passing judgement on the performers, thinking how I'd love to coach each one and help them improve. If anything I was getting a good laugh out of it. Then something happened that shattered my pompous smile and stiff air.

A young girl that I knew personally got up to sing. I hadn't spent enormous amounts of time with her, but I had spent enough to know she had a rough home life.

The slow, flowing music of piano accompaniment began and I recognized the tune. And she began to sing. The sound wasn't fantastic, but the emotion and conviction with which she sang every word made it unforgettable. The song? - Martina McBride's "Concrete Angel."

While moments ago I had been chuckling to myself, I was now fighting back tears, sitting silently, moved to my inner core. What courage it must have taken for her to do that. I can't imagine. This moment alone made my trip worth it. God uses ordinary moments to remind us of extraordinary things. He reminded me that I am so very blessed. He showed me the bravery of this young girl and reminded me of His great and unshattering love for her. I ended up thinking, 'Wow. I will never be as brave as her.'

She is forever etched in my mind and heart.

Comments

  1. I grew up in a very strong musical family, primarily from my Mom. She majored in music in college (her first time around - LOL), and when she got married and had us, she gave piano lessons and did the normal children's ministry music stuff at church. It is clearly from Mom that I have acquired a bit of a Simon Cowell personality towards music/performers. I watch tv shows and live shows and wonder..."What were they thinking?", so thankful that when I sang for church and school stuff, my Mom never held back in telling me "you're way off, honey".

    Then, recently my oldest niece (Miriam, 12 yrs) sang for me the song she shared at her school talent show (Britt Nicole's 'Walk on the Water'). I was afraid because if she wasn't good, would I have to smother her with kudos even still? My sister warned me that she had the same fear as well, and then when Miriam would practice at home, my sister was blown away. She WAS good, on key, expressive, all those things that seem to matter. And my sister was right, Miriam sang for me and I cried. Sure, she's my niece and can do no wrong...but she really WAS great!

    And I later had the same thought...whether she had been "good" or not, God was using this to bring her into Himself. As her name proclaims...she will lead those in worship. Bravery, courage, trust...all required if we are to come into who He has named us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts