A good decision


For some reason yesterday I randomly thought of a sad situation I experienced in eighth grade, but the thought of the fact that I didn't allow it to affect me made me smile...

Allow me to back up further. I was a cheerleader through pretty much all of elementary and middle school. In eight grade, as tryouts were approaching for the high school squads, I thought extensively about whether or not to continue cheering and finally decided not to try out. Was it because I didn't like cheering? No, I LOVED it! I loved tumbling, climbing, challenging my body, improving my skills, working as a team, hanging out with friends... But the things that I didn't like made it not worth it anymore.

In elementary school, cheering was fun and more laid back. In middle school it became more of a competition, and not just between different squads, but individually. It also became life-consuming. If you cheered, you didn't really have time for anything else other than school. It also became more expensive, which my parents never complained about openly, but I was smart enough to know that the money could be put to good use elsewhere. And most significantly, cheering became a popularity factor and a negative influence. I'm thankful God gave me the discernment to not be blind to all it had become.

So the situation I recalled happened in my eighth grade science class and I won't mention the teacher's name. She approached me during class (I remember it as if it were yesterday) and said, "Jennifer, I have a bone to pick with you." I racked my brain thinking, 'What could I have possibly done? My grades are great, I think I've turned everything in that I've needed to...??' She continued and said, "I heard you aren't trying out for cheerleading again. Is that true?"

I said, "Yes," and when she asked why, I responded somewhat vaguely and concisely, knowing she probably wouldn't understand or support all the reasons as she was a big fan of cheering herself. I so vividly remember what she said next.

"Well, I'm very disappointed in you."

She walked away and I was quite dumbfounded. Did this supposed mature adult and role model actually just say that to me? I think I remember this scene so clearly because it was a pivotal moment in my life. It was a moment that I took what she said and shrugged it off (don't get me wrong - it did sting a bit at first) and I did not allow her to change my mind or regret or question my decision. It was a moment where, in spite of the fact that all my closest friends were trying out again, that everyone at school tried their hand at persuading me to keep cheering, I clung to what I knew to be true - that this was not what God had for me over the next four years. Sometimes I wonder how different my high school years would have been had I succumbed to the pressure.

What DID happen is I spent my high school years able to focus on other things. I joined a creative ministry team we called "Lightly Salted" (based on Matt. 5:13). We practiced after school and would perform at churches once or twice a month. On days I didn't have this, I would get to go home right after school and do homework, or take a nap, or both! I actually had time for both! I also was very involved in FCA and developed some close, amazing, godly friends, many of whom are still very special to me to this day. Without a doubt, those years helped mold me into who I am today.

I am NOT AT ALL trying to promote that cheering is bad. Under my specific circumstances, it just wasn't for me and wasn't going to help me become the person I knew I needed to be.

And to my dear, sad science teacher, if you're out there somewhere... God told me He is not disappointed in me, but that He DELIGHTS in me.

Comments

Popular Posts