children's books we love!



Hello, friends!  Hope you are enjoying these beautiful, warm days like we are.  It looks like spring has finally come!  Allie comes ALIVE when she gets to go outside.  It is most definitely her happy place.

Another happy place of ours is when we are immersed in BOOKS!  We read a couple books before every nap time, three books before bedtime at night, and of course we read randomly throughout the day.  I've so enjoyed discovering some amazing children's books over the last couple years, and I'm sure I have so many more to discover (please do share your favorites with me!)  Here are some of our current favorites.



1. Silly Tilly by Eileen Spinelli (my current top favorite right now) - This is such a fun book with a great lesson!  The poetry is fun and creative, and it teaches kids that being your silly, unique self is a good thing and can impact others in a positive way.

2. I Love You All the Same by Donna Keith and Allson Edgson- This is a great book for any child with siblings, but it is especially good for us since we have both an adopted and biological child who look very different from each other (and we can already tell will have two totally different personalities).  It's a story of three bear siblings (brown, polar, panda), how they are very different, how they love each other through their differences, and how their parents love them equally.

3. A Mother for Choco  by Keiko Kasza - This is another great one for adopted children.  It's the story of a little bird named Choco who is looking for his mother.  He keeps looking for someone who looks just like him and doesn't find anyone.  In the end he meets a mama bear who takes care of him as her own.  She has three other children, too - an alligator, a hippo, and a pig.  Choco is very happy and very loved in his new home.  I LOVE this book.

4. I'd Know You Anywhere, My Love by Nancy Tillman - This is a precious book.  I feel warm inside just thinking about it.  This book is the voice of a mother assuring her child she'd know him anywhere, even if he were something or someone else, because she knows every quirk and special trait of his.  It is so sweetly written... "If you were a camel, I'd know by your grin.  Little pink pig?  Your chinny chin chin.  Blue-footed booby?  I'd know at first glance, by your wonderful, one-of-a-kind happy dance..."

5. Goodnight, Ark by Laura Sassi and Jane Chapman- I don't know what it is about this book, but it's one of Allie's favorites.  She picks it almost every night at bedtime to read.  It's a super fun take on Noah's Ark and all the chaos it must've been with all the animals.  It, too, has a nice rhythm and poetry to it.

6. God Loves You by Kathleen Bostrom - This is a sweet, meaningful little book on how God loves us just as we are.  It's a poem book, and a long time ago I randomly made it into a song one night, and now every time we read it, I sing the words.  Allie will often sing it with me. 

7. When God Made You by Matthew Paul Turner - While this one is perhaps a tad too advanced for Allie (it's a little long and the wording is rich), we read it anyway, and I know she'll like it more and more as she gets older.  This book is about how God knows you before He even made you, and how He created you very intentionally with great purpose.  It emphasizes our uniqueness and how everything about us is special.  The author is creative in his wording and rhythms as well.

8. Will You Be My Sunshine by Julia Lobo - This is just a sweet little loving book about how we will be each other's sunshine and rainbow when life is dull, gray, and stormy.  Perhaps I like this one so much because we sing You are My Sunshine every night at bed time, and it makes me think of that.  The characters in it are cute little mice!

9. My Baby Sister Amanda by Eli Cantillon - Someone gifted us this before Jovie was born and it has been great for Allie.  It has a little removable bear character "sister" that you take care of throughout the book and have her do different things like take her for a stroller ride, give her a bath, change her diaper, and read to her in bed.  It is so cute and so helpful in encouraging Allie to think about how to help take care of her sister.  And of course we always say "Jovie" instead of "Amanda."

10. I Love You As Big As the World by David Van Buren - A sweet, simple read assuring your child of how big and deep your love is for her.  This is one of Luke's favorites to read to Allie.



I'd love to hear of any kiddo books you are loving!
Happy reading!  Treasure the moments...



*disclaimer - I earn a small commission if you purchase books through the links provided, but all opinions are my own and not influenced by Amazon or anyone else.  :)

Comments

Popular Posts