another September Christmas



Every September/October we celebrate Christmas with my mom's side of the family before my grandparents go back to Florida for the winter.  It's always quite wonderful, all of us crammed into my grandparents' living room, exchanging gifts and laughing with each other.  I have loved these people all my life.

Grandmama Kay, my dad's mom.  I love that my other grandparents always include her in family gatherings.  Growing up I honestly never felt like we were 2 families, but one big family.  I didn't realize until I was older how rare and special this is.

My brother's oldest son is learning to read.  I loved watching the excitement in his eyes as he showed everyone what he could do.

Little twinsies surveying the rose bush.




I see my grandaddy in a new light now.  When someone you love fights and beats cancer, you stop to study their face a little longer, wondering how much strength must be behind there, cherishing their renewed smiles and laughter.

One of my favorite pictures ever.  Pure delight.

That face...

My cousin Aaron and I drew each other's names for the second year in a row.  Our family draws names and everyone gives $50 plus a small gift.  I had texted him asking what he was liking these days but he didn't get it until after I got his gift.  When I found out he loved honey buns, I just couldn't bear the thought of him not having any, so I made a quick stop at the dollar store on the way to the celebration.  "Fresh off the market," I said as I gave him the box.  As pictured, he was pretty happy.  Honey buns?? you're thinking.  Yes, honey buns bring happiness.

I'm pretty sure my dad receives a jar of fire balls every year.  And every year he does the same thing.  He picks up his gift package and shakes it so that he can hear if it's what he thinks it is, and everyone laughs.  Then he opens it to find it is indeed his beloved fire balls, smiles proudly from ear to ear as he poses for pictures, and everyone giggles a little more.

I love these gatherings not because of the gifts, but because of what happens while we're opening them.  We're all together in one room.  There are lots of "thank you's" and lots of glances and winks across the room that say, 'you mean you remembered that I like this?  I love you.'  We laugh.  We laugh a lot.  And suddenly three hours have passed and it's over much too quickly.

Thankful for this life.


Merry Christmas!

Comments

  1. I LOVE the fact that you bought him Honey Buns. My dad is a honey bun fanatic and one of these big jumbo packs is going to get wrapped up for him this year! I won't be able to put it under the tree though...because I know two little dogs who will have a tasty pre-Christmas snack if I do that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts