Another entry from my childhood storybook...


From an early age I remember singing with Dad a lot. We would sing simple little choruses together at first, often just the two of us in his truck. I learned to harmonize from Dad. One song we sang frequently was "You are my Sunshine." This was really how I first fell in love with music. I realized that even on my worst day, singing something happy and lovely melted my troubles into the background, even if it was just for those few sacred moments. I realized how much I was growing to love the beauty of harmony and voices intertwining to create something that only God could have something to do with. Singing with Dad always made me feel special and loved. Dad made up a chorus for my brother and me to sing specifically for when we were on our way home from college:

I'm goin' home to Casey County.
I'm goin' home to the land I love.
I'm goin' home to Casey County.
There's no better place but heaven above.

When I hear "You are my Sunshine," I think of simpler times, riding and singing with Dad. I think of the satisfied smile on his face when we would complete the final line of a chorus. I think of one of God's sweetest gifts, music, and how it penetrates the heart and soul with something nothing else could ever touch.


Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts